Feb 11, 2016

Ok;enough... It's time to get serious

Today I will blink the LED

Somethings I need to understand about the Edison first:
a-More about it's internal workings; when first learning about electronics I learned that you can't use an x86 platform running a full OS to control pin specific actions directly with discrete timing... things like stepper motors, servos...etc. I learned you have to use a microcontroller.

So far from what I can see about the Edison is it has a lot of labeled GPIO like a microcontroller but so far in interacting it's basically a full blown linux machine. I know so far there are commands to control the direction and status of a pin... but these are via command line so no discernible way to know how many milliseconds between when I execute that command and when the LED will light up... at least not that I can see yet.

I've seen the most examples so far with the Edison hooked up to an Arduino... This again leads me back to the conclusion that the Edison either needs a microcontroller attached to it, or that the Edison already is a linux box with a microcontroller attached to it (my guess is either via USB, SPI or something similar), and if my assumption is correct then I'd think they also share direct access to a bank of high-speed memory and a counter as well.

Anyway... I've just downloaded the: "Intel® Edison Compute Module; Hardware Guide, Jan 2015"
It's a 46 Page PDF written by Intel. Intel Download .

I'll find out my answers shortly and get this done!

No comments:

Post a Comment